Write or send something to Sister Urban..

Sorella Urban is not longer in Italy...

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Is it sinful to be having this much fun?

Before I forget, Dad- the camera charger works! Sorella Nelson took it upon herself to figure it all out and it charged all night and I have a lovely, functioning camera that took uh.... 2 pics today. Ill work on taking more pics :)

Lenora and Andrew are in town! While we were teaching English last night, Lenora called and was lost, so I gave directions to whoever lent them the phone, and they managed to find me on a street corner. We dragged over the 2 suitcases they brought for me over to our apartment thats close to the church, and then we took off in a hurry to take L and A back to their hotel and make it back to our house before too late.

Seeing that today is our preparation day, we went this morning to their hotel and mapped out their plans for the day, and we started out by taking them to Ponte Vecchio and then to Santa Croce Church. Sorella Nelson and I were a little flustered because they jokingly asked us why we were so hesitant about getting around (I asked directions every block) ........ we thought theyd understand that we arent here in Firenze as tourists! Getting around to the sites is just as new to us as it is to them; we talk to people all day, not admire statues!

It started to pour just as their first tour started; we left them and went back to our apt to change and grab an umbrella and now we are here at the net cafe for a moment more before we are headed to go meet up with Lenora and Andrew at the Statue of David, where we will head over to meet Laurent. He is taking us to the cooking school restaurant where he is studying at, and there, over dinner, we will teach him the law of chastity :) I am so excited for Lenora to meet Laurent- He and his family are the ones I would try to come see everytime I make it back to Italy.

This week has been amazing like all the others. On Sunday, as I was preparing for church, I was thinking about Katheryn. We thought that we couldnt set a baptismal date for her because she needs to come to church at least 3 times, and her works doesnt permit it. Then the thought came into my mind that we need to show our faith, and THEN the Lord steps in and performs miracles. So, we taught her the planned lesson and then we whipped out a calendar and invited her to be baptized. She seemed a little taken aback, but she had a huge smile on her face at the same time. She is getting her documents on June 7th (which will allow her to find a new job) AND she has to find a sponsor to help her find a job, so we gave her 3 weeks from June 7th to allow her to come to church 3 times, and so her baptismal date is July 3rd and shell be confirmed on July 4th. It WILL take a miracle for it to work, but Ether 12:6 :)

On Tuesday night, we got a phonecall informing us that I had to be in Rome on Thursday for "3 month conference" (really, my 1 1/2 month conference) so I packed up and took off for Rome with Sorella Naslund. Im guessing they had me come early because by the time my 3 month mark rolls around, the Missions will have changed. I spent all day Thursday and most of Friday at the Mission Presidents home there in Rome, and it was really fun passing all the familiar stops on the train. "And this is where Mom and I come to shop.........and THIS is where we get off to go here, and here...." So strange at the same time :) Termini brought back memories of Amber and I running to make trains, and Carla and I :) Ah. I have had the best life so far.
Over one of the meals, President made a comment about me remaining in Florence over July, and winked.....so Im taking that as my final closure to my fate of being bumped up into the North Mission. Yay :) He came for Zone Conference a few days ago, and his last talk was about attitute and how we should accept whatever we are asked to do. He was lovingly reprimanding us- apparently, there have been pleas to not be sent to Milan.
I am excited for whatever comes my way, be it Rome, be it Milan. There is so much work to do wherever I go. I am so grateful that Heavenly Father has allowed me to be a part of this great work and to witness the change in peoples lives when they accept Christ as their Savior.

I love and appreciate Sorella Nelson. Its true that every companion is very different, and Ive only had 2! We are helping eachother be better missionaries.
The past 24 hours have been so humbling. When Lenora arrived with 2 suitcases, and while I was unpacking and putting stuff away, it just hit me how much Im being looked after. I arrived with nothing but the clothes on my back, and now I have more clothes than most of the Sorelle. I almost would ask Lenora to take back the stuff- I really find myself overwhelmed with more than 2 options for outfits! Last night as I was trying to fall asleep, I was thinking of all the things that have happened to make this all work out. How detailed Heavenly Fathers plan is for each of us- HE knew that Lenora would be coming to Italy, and that it would be possible for her to bring stuff for me. If I had gone to Milan, she wouldnt have made it up to there. My passport was returned to me, which allowed me to remain in the country. Ah! How wonderful it all is! And although I would almost feel more comfortable going back to the way it was, I am grateful for all the things people pitched in to send and provide for me. I was like a child on Chritmas morning- I even have body splash! How did I go from wondering if I could get my hands on a toothbrush, to having this much stuff! Its great but Im also fearing of becoming prideful. The past month and a half have been incredible, even in pink puffed-sleeves jody dresses. I will almost miss the dress :)

on Saturday, we went to Arezzo to teach a part member family. It was raining and we got lost at one point, so Sorella Nelsons hanging onto my arm and we huddle into a doorway to call the family and ask directions. The mother instructs us to stay where we were and that Wilman, the father, would come get us. I dont know WHY that would give us the idea that he was coming in his car, but it did, so we scrutinized each car that came our way .... but no Wilman......... about 15 minutes later, (still huddled under the umbrella) Sorella Nelson pointed out a man on a bike and said something about him being Wilman. We got a good laugh and then..... .... Wilman pulled up, on his BIKE. Before I could even get a greeting out, I burst out laughing and Sorella Nelson didnt help. He was so funny to look at - on his bike, in the rain, trying to hold a lopsided umbrella over his head. It was just funny, especially since we were set on him arriving in his car. We ended up being next to his house, so he just rode his bike and beckoned for us to follow. So much fun. Sorella Nelson even got a picture. AND THEN, we went to the station later that night, and a man was talking on his phone, BUT he was using his LEFT arm to hold it to his RIGHT ear, but his arm wasnt across his chest and over, it was raised up over his head and down. The strangest and most uncomfortable position. It was picture worthy too.

I added in my weekly letter to the President the sentence thats in the subject box. It really is a joy to work with Sorella Nelson, even though I feel like strangling her at times because we usually laugh at inappropriate times, like when Anziano Reschke accidentally buzzed his hair in the front (a LARGE chunk was bald) and he gave a training to us all. How are you supposed to keep a straight face and take someone seriously who is half bald? I tried to block the image of a mother rat attacking his head to build a nest out of my mind, but it wasnt easy with Sorella Nelson buried into my shoulder, snickering. Sorella Nelson dies the transfer after this one, so I am hoping that I will get to keep her till she does go.

I love being a missionary. I hope I dont say it too annoyingly often, but I can never say it enough. The days are weeks and the weeks are days, but time is sadly ticking by and I dont want it to. Does anyone have any connection to someone who would allow me to extend my mission for another 13 years, and then we can discuss my options? :)

Sorella Urban

No comments:

Post a Comment